Thursday, June 2, 2011

Aye Aye Aye

Aww, this poor blog needs some attention. 

The thing is, we haven't done anything too earth-shattering in these past few days. I've been getting things done, getting ready to leave for L.A. on Monday. I've been cleaning like crazy because there is nothing better than coming home after being gone for months to a clean, shiny, fresh room! Can I get a witness!!
Today I packed my iPhone full of music and stories. I'm more of a stories kind of girl, and I couldn't pick which ones I wanted. I kept getting the "you've over-stuffed your iPhone" message. I was listening to Glenn Beck's Moron Trivia earlier. Soooo funny!! Unfortunately, it did not make the cut. Finally I whittled it down to only my favorite songs/artists and my top 3 favorite stories. Anne of Green Gables, Little Women, and Ben-Hur!!
And of course Adventures in Odyssey. 
God forbid I would get bored on the flight, no?

We had to pick up some more junk food for the youth food table. 
This was our last time downtown until we get back in July. 
Me, at the candy store with my little cart...

Nicole and Javier were fighting over who was going to pay the bus fare when suddenly I heard the sound of a mighty rushing wind and a CRACK!! I want to say they "bonked" heads, but it wasn't really a "bonk". It was more like they SLAMMED heads. 
So they both are walking around in circles, halos of stars above their heads, when I see someone waving across the street...
I look over and these two big, burly guys are waving me over and making the "beer" hand signal. 
They looked like they worked in a nightclub. Honestly, they gave me the creeps, and I don't scare easily. 
So I shouted over, "Sorry! I don't drink..."
Haha...no really I said to Javier, "Umm, I think we have a problem."
However, him and Nicole were still in their own little worlds from their Big Bonk. 
We had been standing on this corner for about 40 minutes waiting for the "right bus". 
The "right bus" to Javier means the one that drops us off closest to the house.
Nicole and I on the other hand, do not mind walking, but he was the one carrying the loot so we figured we'd oblige him. I'm learning more and more...my way is the best way. Haha. Just get on the stinkin' bus and get going!
Trying to look pleasant and normal, I told Javier and Nicole that there were some weirdos across the street. Of course they both whip around to see for themselves. *Slap my forehead*
Ugh...anyways, we got home safe and unharmed. 
We actually have not told Dad this little story, but 3 days have passed and this seems to be the right time and place for confessions. :D


Ok seriously. It does sound a little funny, but it wasn't funny at the time. I want to thank God for his protection. There are plenty of things that could have happened, but we got out of there quickly and are fine. 

Does anyone like the new header? It's of our volcano, Popocatepetl that is about 50 miles away. Every time it errupts, we are out of town. Bummer, right? It usually is smoking and covered in snow. Beautiful!
My Gramma sat next to a volcano scientist on a flight once, and he told her that if ever this volcano stops smoking for 2 weeks straight, we'd better hit the road because it is about to explode. Yikes!
So we love the sight of smoke!
Here is what he usually looks like:

This is Popo errupting in December of 2000

The legend is that long ago, Popo was a man who went to war. His bride, Iztaccíhuatl (another of Mexico's volcanoes), hears the rumor of his death and dies of a broken heart. Popo returns to find her dead and is grief stricken. He carries her into the mountains to mourn her death and then dies beside her. The gods were so moved by Popo and Itza's love for each other that they turned them into volcanoes, allowing them to be together forever. Now, when Popo throws out ash, he is just reminding us that he will never leave the side of his beloved Itza. 
Isn't that so romantic?!
Makes me wish I were a volcano...
Heh heh. 

~Bethany~

2 comments:

Couture by Cassia said...

Girl i know what you mean about the cleaning/oacking thing:) its always nice to come home from a looong trip and find ur room spotless...kind of leaves you dumfounded and makes you say "Aaah.." LOL I CANT WAIT TO SEE YOU!

~Crystal~ said...

How interesting! I read this story in a 7th maybe 8th grade class I was subbing in.

Total Pageviews