Friday, February 20, 2015

President's Week

In honor of it being President's Week (we shall call it that since I forgot to post this on Monday) I would like to share some of George Washington's wisdom. I found his book in the bookshelf at Elder and Sis. Wakefield's house and thought it was pretty interesting! Some of it made me laugh (most of it) and others made certain people's faces pop into my mind. The "proprietariness" of people in the old days fascinates me!

George Washington's words are in black and my comments shall heretofore be in purple. 

George Washington's Rules of Civility and Decent Behavior in Company and Conversation

In the presence of others sing not to yourself with a humming noise, nor drum with your fingers or feet. I am part of a family of hummers. Whoops. 

Shake not the head, feet, or legs; roll not the eyes; lift not one eyebrow higher than the other; wry not the mouth; and bedew no man's face with your spittle by approaching too near him when you speak. This one made me think of Nicole. She's known as "Caritas" ("little faces) here in Mexico because her inability to hide her feelings from showing on her face. 

Keep your nails clean and short, also your hands and teeth clean, yet without showing any great concern for them. I like this! Especially that last part. 

Do not puff up the cheeks; loll not out the tongue, rub the hands, or beard, thrust out the lips, or bite them, or keep the lips too open or closed. "Not too open or too closed". Can we get a how-to picture, please? 

Let your countenance be pleasant, but in serious matters somewhat grave.

When you see a crime punished, you may be inwardly pleased, but always show pity to the suffering offender. Not sure if I agree with this one. Don't we like seeing bad people get what they deserve? 

Do not laugh too much or too loud in public. Sigh. So strict. I fail entirely on this one. 

In visiting the sick, do not presently play the physician if you be not knowing therein. Made me remember all the home remedies and wives tales I've heard from the people down here. 

Mock not nor jest at any thing of importance; break no jests that are sharp biting; and if you deliver any thing witty and pleasant, abstain from laughing thereat yourself. I wish I was unable to laugh at my own jokes...

Wherein you reprove another be unblameable yourself, for example is more prevalent than precepts. So nicely said :)

In your apparel be modest and endeavor to accommodate nature; rather than to procure admiration, keep to the fashion of your equals, such as are civil and orderly with respect to times and places. No further comment needed. 

Play not the peacock, looking everywhere about you, to see if you be well decked, if your shoes fit well, if your stockings sit neatly, and clothes handsomely.

Associate yourself with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation for it is better to be alone than in bad company.

Gaze not on the marks or blemishes of others and ask not how they came. "Hey, umm, did ya know you have a giant mole on your nose? And is that a black hair in it? WOAH!" I am once again failing to not laugh at my own joke...

Speak not in an unknown tongue in company, but in your own language and that as those of quality do and not as the vulgar. I agree, but do not always obey the language thing. 

Be not apt to relate news if you know not the truth thereof. In discoursing of things you have heard, name not your author; always a secret discover not.

Being set at meat, scratch not; neither spit, cough, or blow your nose, except if there is a necessity for it. You don't have to ask me twice! Blowing your nose at the table, especially if you have a cold....aaaaaauuuuuugh! Please no. 

Make no show of taking great delight in your victuals. B-b-b-but....whyyyyyyy not?! 

Put not another bit into your mouth till the former be swallowed. Let not your morsels be too big.

Labour to keep alive in your breast that little celestial fire called conscience. Perfectly eloquent. 


~George and Bethany~

3 comments:

Tselot "Coco" Kifle said...

Wow, this is some good stuff!
It's almost as if Ol' George and Solomon were high school buddies!
I'll have to find me a copy.

Jennifer Connell said...

Great post! It points it's proverbial finger in the face of my failures, such as not laughing at my own jokes or laughing too much in public. I have lots to work on. Sigh! lol

The Wakefields: Missionaries to Mexico said...

Coco - Yes! Maybe it'll put some conviction in your heart about voting....HA.
It's a little red volume, at least ours is. I highly recommend it!

Jen - Oh man. Lots to work on is right! I felt grateful that the Lord is not as hard on us as dear George. I too found myself to be severely lacking in a lot of areas...Especially if it had to do with laughing. Hahaha!

~Bethany~

Total Pageviews