Wednesday, March 25, 2015

You Little Rat!

For the past few weeks we've been struggling with a mouse in the house. Mouse in the school, actually. School and church. One day at the end of lunch, I saw it run from the Sunday school room into the kitchen. The boys were all gung-ho about catching it and didn't have an ounce of fear in them. So we shut ourselves in the kitchen and tried to catch it...with no luck. He was too fast! They had sticks and the oldest even had a solid piece of a tree trunk that was made into a cutting board - ready to drop on the mouse's tiny body as he ran by. It was an ingenious concept, but didn't work. 

We've never had a mouse problem - only recently because our neighbors across the street have been digging up their field. 

We ended up buying a sticky trap. It sat in the kitchen on the floor for a couple of weeks till one morning, I walked into the church kitchen and saw movement out of the corner of my eye. There it was, it all its pitiful glory. I 'bout jumped out of my skin! 


He looks cute, and I did feel bad for him. However, justice was served. One night after getting home late, we were unloading groceries from the car. I look up and see a tall, blonde, white-skinned young man walking down my street, and by his side was a Mexican guy. Both well-dressed and wearing back packs. Yep, you guessed it - Mormons! Normally this wouldn't excite me much, but hello! ENGLISH SPEAKER...and not of my own family! Whenever we see these guys, we stop to talk to them - they usually are about as homesick as we are and eager to chat!

I hollered across the street, "Hi!!" and they looked over, surprised. Just as surprised as we were I am sure because after all, we are in the poor ole sticks of Mexico - you don't see tourists here. They come over, big smiles on their faces and riiiiiiight as I stick my hand out to shake theirs and introduce myself...........THIS MOUSE RUNS RIGHT BETWEEN US. Of course, I shriek. They look a little startled and I say something like, "Oh, heh heh...sorry. We've been having a mouse problem lately..." And I stumble through the story about our neighbors...

So even thought his poor little face is smashed into the sticky goo of the trap....I am glad he is gone. I don't have to sit at my desk with my feet elevated off the ground anymore. That got a little uncomfortable.

~Bethany~

1 comment:

Laurel said...

That is hilarious!

Total Pageviews