Sunday, September 25, 2011

Chiles en Nogada

Yesterday we went to the market to get the things we needed to make Chiles en Nogada (a traditional Mexican dish). This is what we saw when we walked into the market:



Just took my breath away! 

Then we got to the meat section, which is something I really get a kick out of. Everything is so fresh and...I don't know what it is, but it is fascinating to me. :)
I don't know if this is a goat or a dog or what!

Look at it's toungue :D

Chili grasshoppers
We used to eat these when we were younger, but they gross me out now. 
The feeling of legs going down your throat is just nasty.

A dog sleeping in the market...

This little girl was working in one of the stores in the market and was so adorable!
She knew the prices of everything, she amazed us all. :P

When we got home, we got busy making the chiles. 
They had me on the walnuts..I cracked open about 50 of them. It was rough! ;)

Charred delights

Nicole chopped up fruit

The people here believe that if you put the outer shell of an onion on your head while your chopping an onion up, it won't sting your eyes and make you cry. 

Then I peeled the chiles and deveigned them

 Frying the fruit

 Popping the pomegranate seeds out

 Pretty!

Frying the chilis...

 Yum yum

The finished product!

 We invited the elder Wakefields over since this is one of our Grampa's favorite foods!
While he was here, he entertained us with a few songs on the guitar. 

 And here is everyone eating! 

7 comments:

Dacia Loa said...

Do y'all buy y'alls meat from the market? If so ... ewwww! :D Mexico has totally ruined my apetite for meat. And I definitely won't eat it from the market! :/

The Wakefields: Missionaries to Mexico said...

YESSSSSS!! We do most of the time! I love it! Its so fresh haha!

~Bethany~

Dacia Loa said...

Yuck!! Hehe! Sorry, I just couldn't do that! It all tastes weird to me! And it always has flies on it. *shudder* :D

Mary Frances said...

Mmmmm THOSE LOOK GOOOD!!! Yummmo!!! The marked Kinda reminds me of the market in the PI!!! I'm lookin forward to my lil brother's weddin in Bohol...there will be a roasted pig in a pit...I'm kinda excited...just hope I don't DIE!!! LOL!!!

Kathy McElhaney said...

I started reading this post during breakfast this morning... it should have come with a warning!! The flowers took my breath away and the meat took my appetite away!

Love you all!

singingismything said...

Awe look at the little home-makers!;) Miss Betty Crocker right there folks lol! Those flowers are beautiful....the selections they have are always so pretty! Remember the first time u was down there & I bought a fresh flower to wear in my hair;-p

Michelle Dianne said...

LOLOL - seeing the meat, I am SMELLING the meat! I'm remembering the meat markets in Chetumal! NOT my favorite part of the trips there! (Favorite would be the fabric stores! How I miss them!)

Total Pageviews