Sunday, August 30, 2009

Noe the Smarty Pants

Ok...I know I already posted today, but I (Bethany) have to tell about you guys about this:

I have a little boy in my class named Noe. He is 6 years old and is a little simple and SO adorable!! Every time he comes to church, he runs up to me with a huge grin on his face, grabs my hand and says, "Is today Sunday school?" It's really sad, he doesn't go to school. I think it's b/c the schools here in Mexico don't have special ed classes so he just stays home with his mom. Anyways, today in Sunday school we were learning Acts 2:38. (Remember, this isn't the shortest verse ever!) So I wrote it on the board and we said it a couple of times, then we went around the room choosing one word at a time to erase. So...how ever many words there are in Acts 2:38, that's how many times we repeated it.

After there were no more words to erase I said, "Ok! Who can say it now all my themselves?"
A couple of kids tried it, but would mess up just a tiny bit. But then Noe said, "MEEE!! I can!" He's always randomly (loudly) calling out stuff in class, so I didn't really take him seriously. (Like on Friday night I knelt down in front of him to tell him that Sunday School was the day after tomorrow and he just shouted, "My name is Noe!") Anyways, I just smiled and said, "Ok, go!!" But he just looked at me with that big grin on his face. So I turned away to call on the next kid when suddenly he just started shouting it out. "Y Pedro les dijo arrepentios y bauticese...!" I turned around, I'm sure my mouth was hanging open...
And all of us in the room watched in amazement as he said the whole verse, by himself, no prompting, PERFECTLY!! In the words of Chris Matthews...I had a thrill going up my leg. JK!
Anyways...Him quoting that verse gave me the goosebumps!! I know a lot of people at church think he is...dumb. But this just goes to show that is is NOT!! Out of17 'normal' kids, he was the FIRST one to say the verse. You GO Noe!
I am so SO SO SO proud of him!! I'll post a pic of him as soon as I can find one or take one.

Hey, you know how you hear these stories of autistic kids that can plaaaay the piano, or are artists or whatever?? Well, we've decided we're gonna sit Noe down at the piano at church and see what he does. Come to think of it, actually we need a drummer.

...and I can't figure out how to get this stinkin' italics to get off. So I guess it's time to go. :))

Ooooh..tomorrow or Tuesday's post is going to be very...revealing...!!
Kinda like on Odyssey when Liz does a report on cafeteria food.
Nicole and I bought some very strange looking meat at the grocery store the other day. One is red...and the other is GREEN. We cooked it for lunch yesterday(details later), but we still don't know exactly what is was that we ate. So I'm going to ask Elder Wakefeild's assistant pastor's wife about it. She's really smart about these kinds of things...AND she speaks English! :)) Then I'll post all the gory details tomorrow? w/ all the gross looking pictures.
***Next post: Not for weaklings!!***

1 comment:

Kathy McElhaney said...

That is so cool! Umm... the part about Noe quoting Acts 2:38, not the nasty meat!!!

BTW, I'm loving your blog!

Total Pageviews