Monday, October 19, 2015

Beginning Border Stories - I'm Back!

 Hi, guys!!!! I'm back! It feels so good to be back home! I have missed my little hobby of blogging. 

Remember about six months ago when everyone took a border trip and left Austin and I here? I am not a big fan of McAllen (or any border town) so it was not a big deal for me to stay home. (We have to go up every six months to renew the papers on the car). Also, driving 16+ hours to Texas is not exactly what I'd consider fun! 
However, it was going to be my birthday and I needed a little distraction. I hadn't really planned on going - Nicole told me I could sleep in on my birthday and come to school late. That sounded pretty good to me, but when my dad scheduled a couple services in Texas, I decided that I couldn't miss out on this opportunity to visit new churches, see friends, and meet new ones! 

The beginning of our trip had me a little worried. If we hadn't traveled further north in Texas, there really would not have been much to tell about. This is about the extent of the pictures I took the first few days -

My delicious breakfast at Cracker Barrel
THEE ultimate tutorial!!!
Interesting shirt pattern
My faaaaavorite!!!
Texas sky
 I have struggled with carsickness my entire life. Since the time we were little my siblings have all been capable of reading in the car, but I never could. Only one time have I ever actually tossed my cookies because of carsickness - come to think of it, it was actually at a red light...in Texas...when I was about eight years old. The whole breath-in-your-nose-and-out-your-mouth technique just wasn't cutting it. I did manage to get my door open and not destroy the inside of our little red Jetta! That was a WIN!
Anyways, with the bad roads and stop-and-go traffic here in Puebla, going anywhere usually includes fighting nausea. Minimal texting and definitely no reading. 

That is why I was super excited when I found these trusty little motion sickness bands while in the States! I heard of these years ago, but was very skeptical. It seemed too easy. 
However, I wore them for the many hours we spent driving from one end of Texas to the other. Houston rush hour traffic, windy roads, and stoplights - I never got sick once. 
Whether it is just a placebo, or that little nob on the bracelet is actually pushing on a pressure point...I am a convert! 
Acustrap - According to Amazon: AcuBand Nausea Relief pressure-sensitive wrist bands provide maximum relief from the debilitating effects of motion sickness, morning sickness and postoperative nausea and vomiting. AcuBands wrist bands are fully adjustable. Their dedicated button exerts pressure on the Nei-Kuan acupressure point on the inside of your wrist.
I wonder if these bands will work to cut the nausea caused by other situations? Like when getting a whiff of dead animal...or when I see saints sitting on the back row, unmoved by the spirit of God...or when I drill a math concept into a student's head, only for them to fail their test on Friday. There should definitely be a surgical procedure to have the pressure points on one's wrists permanently pressed - haha!

I have a lot more pictures to share! In the end, I was so glad I decided to go to the border! I have pictures here, there, and everywhere. I am getting them all in order for the second installment (and real meat of the word) of our border trip.

~Bethany~

No comments:

Total Pageviews