Saturday, December 30, 2017

Market with Carmen

I went to the market the other day for my weekly grocery shopping trip... 
 

 


 If, by some strange turn of events, I were to leave Mexico, this will be the fruit I miss most. Nanche. 
They are like cherries in that they have a big seed in the middle, but aren't similar in taste or texture. They have a unique and inexplicable flavor. I just asked Nicole to describe what they taste like and she replied, "Ummm...barf?" 
I'd have to disagree with that. LOL. However, I am the only one in my family that likes nanches.

Sis. Carmen had been raving about tacos de barbacoa (in this case it was goat barbacoa). She wanted to take me to the place in the market that had the best ones. 
 

Raw meat...and a few inches away, our cooked barbacoa. This is where one sincerely prays, "Lord, don't let me get sick!"
 Fresh hot tortillas being made...
 

The tacos were ok...goat meat has never been my favorite, but Carmen sure did enjoy it! 
 

Back at the produce side of the market, I ended up buying a cauliflower, honey dew, cantaloupe, strawberries, figs, green beans, peas, broccoli, tomatoes, limes, lettuce, spinach, quinoa, carrots, and Oaxaca cheese...
It all came to about $18 USD.

This little guy came sluggin' out of  my lettuce...think about it though. How many of these do we eat in a lifetime?? Now THAT is BARF....
How to soak your produce in bulk: 
Pull out the drawer in your fridge and fill 'er up! 

 What a very *productive* day...heh heh...

~Bethany~

2 comments:

Unknown said...

" If, by some strange turn of events, I were to leave Mexico, this will be the fruit I miss most."


Very sly.

I see the page turning. I hear a rustling in the mulberry bushes.

Anonymous said...

nice post.

Total Pageviews